The year 2020 marks the 50th anniversary of FFTC, a momentous year worthy of a big celebration for a Center which has played an immensely important and productive role in promoting sustainable agricultural and rural development in the Asian and Pacific Region.
**This event has been postponed to 2021 due to the COVID-19 pandemic
Type of activity: Event
Date & venue: October 6, 2021, Taipei, TAIWAN
Organizer: Food and Fertilizer Technology Center for the Asian and Pacific Region
To mark FFTC’s 50th anniversary as an international regional technology and policy information center, the Center is going to organize a 50th anniversary celebration event on October 21, 2020.
The creation of the center was in response to severe periodic shortages of both food and fertilizer in the 1960s. It was apparent at that time that a lack of technical information among farmers was the basis of the problem, compounded by an inadequate fertilizer supply and a shortage of improved seeds. The underlying motive for the creation of the center was the concern about food shortages in the densely populated Asian countries.
For the past 50 years, in the light of the change of agricultural environment and technology, FFTC has played an immensely important and productive role in promoting sustainable agricultural and rural development in the Asian and Pacific Region. Through various activities, FFTC collects, exchanges, and disseminates agricultural technology and policy information on a very wide range of modern agriculture and agriculture-related topics, covering the full spectrum of farm needs and activities relevant to the ASPAC region.
In five decades, FFTC’s programs and activities have left significant marks in terms of contributing to the overall attainment of the region’s sustainable agricultural development, as well as in bridging the technological and economic gap between developed and developing countries in the ASPAC. FFTC’s 50th anniversary is a fitting opportunity for the Center to reflect on its performance and achievements.
• To reaffirm FFTC’s continued commitment to respond to the needs of millions of farmers and celebrate the center’s achievement for the past 50 years.
• To give full credit and thank FFTC’s member countries, partner organizations and stakeholders, for continuously providing technical, financial and manpower support to enable the Center to carry on and implement programs and activities for the benefit of small-scale farmers in the region.
• FFTC Executive Board members and observers.
• FFTC Working Group members and observers.
• FFTC Technical Advisory Committee members.
• Representatives from diplomatic missions in Taiwan.
• Taiwanese government officials.
• FFTC’s partner institutes.
• VIPs who made special contributions to FFTC.
• Former FFTC experts and staff.
FFTC@50 is an anniversary book highlighting the major milestones of the Center from its humble beginnings in the late `60s to being one of the major repositories of information on agricultural technologies and policies in Asia. The book will also be available online at www.fftc.org.tw