The brochure of the FFTC-AP Platform explains in simple terms what the whole project is all about. This is also posted online in both FFTC website and FFTC Facebook page.
Type: Database and network
Date and venue: January-December, 2019, Taiwan
Participants: Contracted socioeconomists and partners from nine countries in the Asian and Pacific Region and other contributors.
The seventh year of the AP project continued to provide informative agricultural policy articles, policy related news and statistical data to readers such as policy makers, professors, researchers, students, and farmers, etc. on the FFTC-AP website (http://ap.fftc.agnet.org). A collaborative network of agricultural economists was established. This project has nine contracted partners from Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Taiwan, Thailand, and Vietnam, who contribute valuable articles on overview and important agricultural policies in their own countries. The goal in 2019 is to reach the target number of 80 published papers on FFTC-AP website. From December 7, 2018 to December 9, 2019, 144 articles have been reviewed, revised, accepted and published on the said website. The peer-reviewed evaluation process and a competitive payment system guarantee the quantity, quality and diversity of FFTC-AP website articles. Some of the uploaded agricultural policy articles were selected and translated into Chinese and uploaded to FFTC-AP website. In addition, a pamphlet and call-for-papers announcement were designed and widely disseminated in international seminars/workshops and through email. The new FFTC-AP website is under construction and is designed to provide a more attractive, friendly and interactive interface. The new website is scheduled to be launched in June, 2020. From the inception of FFTC-AP website in 2013 to December 31, 2019, the accumulative number of hits of FFTC-AP website is 9,524,731, and the average hits per day in the last three months (October 1, 2019 to December 31, 2019) are 13,248. As of December 31, 2019, the number of website registered users is 15,622.
Major Findings and Recommendations
1. From the inception of FFTC-AP website in 2013 to December 31, 2019, the accumulative number of hits of FFTC-AP website is 9,524,731. Compared to 5,913,180 hits as of December 31, 2018, the number has increased by 61%.
2. From the inception of FFTC-AP website in 2013 to December 31, 2019, the number of website registered users of FFTC-AP website is 15,622. Compared to 11,190 registered website users of FFTC-AP website as of December 31, 2018, the number has increased by 26%.
Major performances and achievements
1. Out of 15,622 registered website users, the percentage of website registered users by country is as follows: Philippines (29%); Malaysia (15%); Vietnam (6%); Taiwa (5%); Thailand (5%); Indonesia (5%); India (5%); USA (3%) and China (3%).
2. Out of 15,622 website registered users, the percentage of the registered website users by occupation is as follows: undergraduate students (21%); researchers (17%); graduate students (15%); government officials (6%); professors (6%); teachers (6%); and experts (5%).
3. In terms of category, out of 50 most frequently viewed articles, 10 articles belong to “Overview of Agricultural Policy” and 8 articles belong to production policy.
4. In terms of country, out of 50 most frequently viewed articles, 33 are from the Philippines, nine from Malaysia and four from Thailand.
5. In order to vastly upgrade the quality of articles on the FFTC-AP website, the plans are to publish an FFTC Journal of Agricultural Policy, improve and manage the FFTC-AP website, and expand the positive impacts of this project, some suggestions were made during the FFTC-AP advisory committee meetings including looking for more support from the government, recruiting more experts in agricultural related fields, and conducting surveys to collect feedbacks for further improvement.
The inside pages of the FFTC-AP brochure further explains the importance of agricultural policy in agricultural development. In 2019, the project has nine contracted partners from Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam and Taiwan.